Alumni Spotlight

November 3, 2016

This week the S&P Department would like to shine light on Portuguese Alumni, Shaun Ohran. Shaun graduated in 2015 with a B.A. in Portuguese from UNM and was recently commissioned as an Information Management Specialist in the Foreign Service with the State Department. On his first assignment, Shaun will be working in the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia, Brazil for the next two years.

Sean shared with us, “I attribute the degree I earned from UNM for the commission and also that is was in Portuguese to get my first assignment in Brazil.  Many thanks go to Margo, Leila, and Jeremy as my professors and Kate who helped me a ton to figure out things to get me finally graduated.  Thanks also go to Anne Callaghan who was a Resident Diplomat from the State Department based out of UNM for the recruitment.  Any who are interested in a career in the Foreign service should look up the current Resident Diplomat, Kenneth Chavez at UNM. 

I proudly wear plenty of Lobo gear while I am here in training in D.C. where I will be until January.  People ask where I’m from and sometimes it’s as if I’m from an exotic place when I tell them NEW Mexico.”

Please help us in congratulating Mr. Ohran on his notable achievements.