Second Major in Spanish
24 credit hours in Spanish courses numbered 300 and above as specified below. All grades must be “C” or higher in order to count toward the degree.
4 Required courses (12 credit hours)
- SPAN 301 Topics in Hispanic Culture and Language
- SPAN 302 Developing Spanish Writing Skills
- SPAN 307 Introduction to Hispanic Literature
- SPAN 350 or SPAN 351 or SPAN 352
4 Elective courses (12 credit hours)
- 1 elective courses (3 credit hours) must be above SPAN 307;
- 2 elective courses (6 credit hours) must be at the 400 level;
- 1 elective course (3 credit hours) may be fulfilled with any appropriate course number 300 or above.
Second majors in Spanish who will continue to study Spanish at the graduate level
We recommend that you take most or all of the required courses for the first major including -
- SPAN 350 Sound Patterns of Spanish and/or SPAN 351 Introduction to Spanish Linguistics;
- SPAN 352 Advanced Grammar;
- SPAN 411 and/or 412 Survey of Spanish Peninsular Literature I & II;
- SPAN 431 and/or 432 Spanish American Literature Survey I & II.
Students with advanced and/or native language skills are encouraged to take courses above 301
It is possible to substitute higher level courses for some required courses, such as 301, 302 and in some cases 307. Visit the Advanced Spanish Skills page for more information.
Advanced Placement (AP) Spanish Language and Spanish Literature scores - UNM equivalencies
The University of New Mexico encourages you to take advantage of this unique opportunity to earn college credit prior to enrolling. CEEB Advanced Placement Program Students who took advanced placement courses in high school, and earned a score of three or higher on the exam, may be eligible for college credit. Score reports should be sent from the College Board directly to the UNM Office of Admissions.
|Adanced Placement||Score||UNM Course Equivalent||UNM Credit Hours||Enroll directly in the following UNM Courses|
|Spanish Language||3||SPAN 101, 102||6 total (3 ea.)||201|
|4 or 5||SPAN 101, 102, 201,|
202 & 302
|Spanish Literature||4||SPAN 302||3 total||307|
|5||SPAN 302, 307||6 total (3 ea.)||350 - 370|
411 - 439, 479
Second majors in Spanish may apply up to 12 credit hours of courses taken abroad toward their degree requirements. Visit the Study Abroad page for more information.