The Department of Spanish and Portuguese has three scholarships it presents on an annual or semi-annual basis. The following is a brief description of the competitions for these scholarships.Conroy International
Conroy International Study Grant
Patrick Conroy has endowed a $500 grant to be awarded to a meritorious student who is either a major, second major or minor in Spanish or Portuguese (within the College of Arts and Sciences), who would like to study abroad, but finds it difficult to afford the cost of a program.
- Planning to participate, between May 2017 and May 2018, in an approved UNM study abroad program;
- A degree-seeking UNM student;
- In good academic standing at UNM;
- Able to receive UNM credits or transfer credits for the international program;
- Demonstrate financial need;
- A declared major, second major or minor in Spanish or Portuguese.
(*declared = degree program listed on the student’s degree audit and transcripts)
Lina A. Ruiz y Ruiz
Lina A. Ruiz y Ruiz Memorial Award
The Lina A. Ruiz y Ruiz Memorial Award is a $1000 scholarship for a UNM student pursuing a Spanish degree. The awardee will be selected by department faculty on the basis of: Academic excellence, and the strength of the submitted aplication letter (which must be written in Spanish).
- A declared* first or second major in Spanish within the college of Arts and Sciences and are actively pursing the degree
- Expected to graduate between the Spring 2018 and Spring 2019 semesters
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in Spanish courses taken in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese at UNM.
(*declared = degree program listed on the student’s degree audit and transcripts.)
College of Arts & Sciences Summer Scholarship
Awards will be used toward tuition and class supplies. Students must be working toward an A&S major and demonstrate good academic standing. Please download and fill-out the application form and submit along with the required paperwork. For more details please see the scholarship form or visit the College of Arts and Sciences Scholarship page here.