Spanish or Portuguese Course Challenges
(1000 & 2000 level courses only)
If you earn a grade of A or B in one of these Portuguese courses: PORT 2115 or PORT 301, or PORT 311
If you earn a grade of A or B in one of these Spanish courses: SPAN 1120/1220 OR SPAN 2110/2210 OR SPAN 2120/2220 OR SPAN 301 OR SPAN 302 you can purchase credit hours for any of the preceding lower division courses (1000 and 2000 levels only) without taking an exam. A Course Challenge form must be processed & UNM tuition must be paid.
This is what you have to do:
- Enroll in a higher-level course and earn an A or B in that course. (EXAMPLE: By earning an A or B in Spanish 2110, you can purchase credit for lower division courses such as Spanish 1110 and/or 1120.
- Obtain an Advisement Transcript from Records & Registration (Mesa Vista Hall One Stop).
- Take the Advisement Transcripts to the College of Arts & Sciences Advisement Center (University Advisement and Enrichment Center [suite 135 of Mesa Vista Hall – formerly Student Services Center]) to get a pink Challenge Slip. The Challenge Slip has 5 sections that need to be signed, Arts & Sciences will sign the first section.
- Next take your Advisement Transcript and Challenge Slip to the Department of Spanish & Portuguese (room 235 of, Ortega Hall) to get the second section signed.
- Then, take your Advisement Transcript, the Challenge Slip and some form of Payment to the Cashiers (room 160 of Mesa Vista Hall [formerly the Student Services Center]) to pay for the credit hours of the courses you have challenged. The cashier will collect payment, sign the slip, and give you a Receipt.
- Bring the Challenge Slip, and the Receipt back to Spanish & Portuguese. The department will check the receipt, sign the Challenge Slip again, make copies of the slip, and send the original on to Records and Registration.
- Records & Registration will then process the Challenge Slip (in approximately two weeks).