7th National Symposium on Spanish
as a Heritage Language
February 27 - 29, 2020
For more information and schedule, click here
The 7th National Symposium on Spanish as a Heritage Language will be hosted by the University of New Mexico. The conference dates are February 27-29, 2020. This annual symposium welcomes researchers, instructors, as well as K-12 educators.
The National Symposium on Spanish as a Heritage Language offers a common forum for scholars, students, and educators interested in sharing their knowledge and expertise in the field of learning and instruction of Spanish as a heritage language and related fields. During the Symposium, we will host workshops and sessions about different aspects of Spanish heritage language teaching and research presentations on Spanish as a heritage language. The 7th National Symposium provides the setting to learn, exchange ideas, and develop opportunities for collaboration.
María Luisa Parra-Velasco, Harvard University
Glenn Martínez, Ohio State University
Ana Sánchez-Muñoz, California State University, Northridge
Call for Papers:
Abstracts for 20-minute presentations, posters, panels or workshops on any field of study relating to Spanish as a Heritage Language will be accepted from June 3 to November 1, 2019. While most topics will intersect with education/pedagogy and linguistics analysis, proposals from other approaches will be considered as long as there is strong intersectionality with the field of SHL.
Abstracts can be written in Spanish or English, should be a maximum of 300 words (not including references or title) and anonymized to exclude any identifiable information. Panel organizers should submit a 300-word description of the panel together with a 300-word abstract for each presentation. Authors may submit a total of two abstracts, one individual and one joint.
Submit through Easy Abs: http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/NSSHL7
5th Annual Spanglish Creative Writing Contest
Join us in celebrating our 5th Annual Spanglish Creative Writing Contest. The awards ceremony will be held during the 7th Annual National Symposium on Spanish as a Heritage Language, hosted by the University of New Mexico, February 27-29, 2019. There will be awards for each of the 2 levels: 1) High school, 2) College.
Promote the participation of your institution in the National Creative Writing Contest!
- Each local organizer (university or high school teacher/administrator) sends a campus or community wide call for submissions in Spanglish, for poetry, short stories or essays about thoughts and experiences regarding living between languages.
- Each participant teacher or administrator at the university/high school will choose one finalist piece (up to 3 submissions per teacher if teaching multiple sections) to send to the contest committee. The committee will select a winner and an honorable mention in each category.
- All literary works must be between 500 and 2,000 words.
a) Poem (One each for high school and college entries)
b) Essay (One each for high school and college entries)
c) Short-story (One each for high school and college entries)
All submissions should be sent in Word format document with name of author, institution and level, and category by email to Spanglish7NSSHL@gmail.com - Submissions accepted until 11:59 p. m. December 1st, 2019. Please note that this submission deadline is different from the NSSHL7 abstract submission deadline.
All submissions will be evaluated for:
- Demonstration of Sociolinguistic Consciousness (understanding of the complex dynamics -language, culture, gender, class, ethnicity, etc.- in multilingual, multi- ethnic communities)
- Effective communication of message through Spanglish.
Please email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or to any of the members of the organizing committee. ¡Gracias!